Standards and Common Core
How does AllSides for Schools help educators achieve Common Core Standards in the classroom?
Home» About »
Does AllSides for Schools Support Common Core Standards?
AllSides for Schools programming helps students achieve many facets of Common Core standards. Here is an overview of benchmarks our material can help with. Read more about how AllSides for Schools achieves Common Core for grades 6th-8th, 9th-10th, and 11th-12th below.
- Argumentative Writing
- Observation, interpretation, analysis, inference, evaluation, explanation, and metacognition
- Work together as a class or small group for discussion or group decision making
- How to collaborate in person, in class, and online
Research and Analysis
- Learn to identify an author’s point of view (bias, etc)
- Students will learn to identify and evaluate their own point of view and how it fits among that of their classmates
- Distinguish among fact, opinion, and reasoned judgment in a text
- Many students do not feel prepared to participate in democracy or vote. They do not know the issues, candidates, or how to engage as active citizens. AllSides provides the structure, background and experience to prepare students for their civic lives.
- Media literacy: How to maintain an awareness of news and get a balance of perspective
Civil Conversation and Conflict Resolution
- How to talk and converse online in a positive, respectful, productive way – that respects diversity of opinions, backgrounds and cultures.
- Everyone faces conflict in their family, personal and professional relationships. We show how to find common ground and have a civil dialog to move forward in a healthy, productive way.
- Great for school community conflicts – how schools can discuss controversial issues that arise for the entire school community.